Is your computer showing a 'no system disc' error and 'press any key to continue'?
Had to boot from an USB drive, to run memtest, a memory diagnostic software, and it somehow overwrote the MBR (Master Boot Record). So every time I had to 'press a key' to make the computer boot normally.
How I solved this issue?
The solution is quite simple.
- Grab the Windows 8/8.1 installation CD and put it into the DVD drive.
- Reboot your computer from the DVD.
- Wait for the Windows installer to load.
- First you have to select the language to install, time and currency format and keyboard layout.
- Click on 'Repair your computer'.
- Click on 'Advanced ...'
- Click on 'Command prompt'.
- In Command prompt enter the following command:
bootrec /fixmbr (if your MBR is damaged)
bootrec /fixboot (if your MBR is having problems or is missing)
bootrec /rebuild (if your MBR is compressed or you are unable to repair it)
- When you're done type 'exit'.
- Click on 'Shut down your computer' or something like that.
- The MBR should be fixed.